What are the requirements for achieving ISO 27001 Certification?
Before jumping into the requirements for achieving ISO 27001 Certification, let’s first understand the essence of ISO 27001. With the growing shift towards digitalization of economies, healthcare services, general record-keeping and many more, the threat of data leakage and misuse are also in rise. Several governments have taken stringent measures of curtailing such activities and these measures also require the individuals and the organizations to act in a certain way. We are all aware of the GDPR regulations stipulated by the EU to ensure data security. If your organization is based out of India, you might want to consider ISO 27001 certification. The International Organization of Standardization (ISO) published ISO 27001 standard that helps in establishing an Information Safety Management System (ISMS) in an organization. Read the entire article to know the basic requirements, before applying for ISO 27001 Certification.
ISO 27001 Certification is not a mandatory requirement for any organization as this standard recognizes the fact that every organization is unique in terms of their ISMS requirements. Thus, implementing all the controls of ISO 27001 Standard is unnecessary. However, organizations must perform certain activities and implement certain controls in order to keep the data under their possession, safe.
What are the mandatory requirements of ISO 27001 Certification?
- Clause 4.3 requires identification of the scope of your ISMS. This enables you to prioritize that information which needs maximum protection.
- Clause 6.12 provides for conducting assessment for risk and opportunities for your ISMS.
In addition to the above, the organizations are also required to comply with the following clauses:
- Clauses 5.2 & 6.2- Policy and objectives for Information Security.
- Clause 6.1.3- Risk treatment process
- Clauses 6.1.3 e and 6.2- Plan for risk treatment
- Clause 8.2- Report of Risk assessment
- Clause 7.2- documentation of training, qualifications, skill, and experience.
- Clause 9.1- Monitoring and measurement records
- Clause 9.2- Program for Internal Audit and report of internal audit.
- Clause 9.3- Management review report
- Clause 10.1- Corrective action plan and performance
The Statement of Applicability
As mentioned above, every organization has unique requirements of their ISMS. The best thing about ISO 27001 is its flexibility to tailor as per the organization’s requirements. Thus, every organization must document their Statement of Applicability (SoA) that an outline which controls of Annex A has been omitted and the reason behind such omission.
How to handle documentation process?
It is true that implementing the standard’s requirements is more convenient than documenting each action. However, this is a necessary exercise in order to develop robust ISMS for your organization. There are several ISMS documentation toolkits available in the market that offers customisable templates to help you meet the ISO 27001 standard’s documentation requirements. This will save a lot of your time and money.
If you are looking for ISO 27001 Certification, feel free to get in touch with SIS Certifications. With over 16000 global clients, we take pride in our commitment for making your certification process as smooth as silk.
For more details, visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcswyec0Bc